Sunday, June 13, 2004

Booya!

Aight, sounds coal to be doing a blog here. Aight, Let's just see how this goes along.

Just got back from LDC2. That's Leadership Development Course Stage2 for you. Speaking of it, this is gonna be a goddamn long entry. Aight. Let's get started. I had a very negative outlook before I went to this camp, cos my LDC1 was hell. Totally hell on earth. Officers who were there to break you down mentally and physically. Anyway, it also happened 4 years ago so I would have pretty much forgotten alot of things. And I was supposed to attend this damn thing 2 years ago but edmund submitted the forms late for 2 YEARS CONSECUTIVELY. As a result, I was the highest ranking NCO there.

I met the rest of the krew at sembawang MRT, then headed towards BB/GB campsite via 167. Almost late. The camp, accordingly to my standards, is super slack. It's like, there's no sense of urgency or scoldings at all, unlike my LDC1. Perhaps there were 'only' corporals and sergeants. Some LCP buggers even won me by badge count. Anyway, we were supposed to wear our uniforms and report in, so everyone would be like staring at me 'cos my uniform is totally different from the rest, coat,long sleeved shirt and tie and all. Hot wearing it. In both senses. Heh. So the boys stared at me. Ok, started off the camp at 6pm and with a bang. Learnt the song , ai pia jia eh yia. Coal song. Loved it. Albert Ching was our camp commander, funny guy.

The trainers were of corporals, staff sergeant, and a couple of primers. We immediately changed into our PT Kits and so very few people knew I was of staff sergeant at that point in time. Coal. My OCT (Officer Cadet) told me that there were few SSGTs there (I was the only one) and officers would normally aim at us. So I was happy to change into our PT kits, kept my identity a secret. They kept calling me harry potter. We were broken into east and west district. I was in west district and boy was East district slackers. I'll tell you why in a sec. I was in Alpha company, squad 1. In west district there was alpha company and bravo company. We were supposed to plan a 3 day 2 night camp over to seletar island and each squad was to write our a proposal. We finished our proposal at 3am.

2nd day.

Woke up at 6am. We had 5 projects, lead by Alpha1 to Alpha5, took turns. Sergeant Eric Soh took lead for the first project. I tell you, he's a hell of a leader. Cool, calm, collected. Seriously, he's the best sergeant i've ever seen. Natural born leader. That's why I voted him for best trainee. Anyway, we were supposed to plan a 3 day 2 night camp for Seletar Island. Fast forward, and we took our kayaks and build a raft out of logs and started our long journey. Took like 2 hours before going only 3/4 of our way where officers landed us on a beach. The journey there was tiring. We were stuck on the sea parallel to a jetty and we couldn't move the damn raft even though we paddled like mad. The current and wind were against us. Our spirit and morale was low. Everyone was tired. Eric then started to lead us into song and cheers. That motivated us and got us going. Eric, you rock. We had a de-brief on the beach and someone got stung by a bee, then we loaded him up on the raft and started to paddle back to shore. Edmund and myself got ourselves on a kayak. I asked an officer to put the casualty on a POWERBOAT but he refused. I had an inkling something was amiss. Anyway, we reached Sembawang beach and surprise surprise, it was all a hoax.

Everyone was physically and mentally tired, with sunburns and stuffs, being out at sea for almost 7 hours. We cooked our dinner using pots and woks and what-have-you. It was part of the project. Bloody east district was having a BBQ. They were playing soccer while we were at sea. Wtf. We paid the same price and got crap instead. HAI DI PANG XIE. Okay, dinner was a blast. We were supposed to cook our dinner by ourselves using rations we bought. The food was shitty. Bravo company spoilt their burner and they were cooking sambal kangkong halfway. Lmao. Actually, our food tasted bad on the tongue but it was delicious when tasted from the heart. After all, Alpha Company cooked it together. :) Mervin Tee is a good cook. Funny guy too. We finally ate our food at around 9.30pm. Then had a short debrief aka scolding then washed up and bathed and slept. Slept about 1am.

3rd day.

Last day, couldn't wait to go home. Had area cleaning, then debrief/scolding. After that we checked our stores and found that 1 first aid kits box and 2 ladles were missing. Then officer said it was actually 2 first aid boxes. Bravo company lost their kit but we had to pay for them? What kind of crap is this? Anyway, we paid 2 bucks each and someone eventually found the kits in their bag. Yes, their BAG. How dumb can someone get?!! Okay, then had lunch at 1.30pm. Hungry. Lunch was pack lunch. Long bean, chicken and tofu. When you're hungry, everything tastes nice. Then started to have POP rehearsal. Our COS was nonsense. A corporal. Didn't (want to) find out his name. Dunno how to give command. Gave a complicated command when he could have given a kekanan-lurus. He doesn even know how to receieve a prize! After all of us had taken our prizes, it was his turn. He turned and marched towards the officer. Then he stood there. And waited. And waited. For money to drop from the sky. The officer was trying not to laugh. Then he finally saluted and MARCHED OFF. I mean, wtf? It was hilarious and disappointing at the same time. The officer went off. I don't think he receive his badge. Hahaha. Had a debrief at the auditorium together with Bravo company and Albert Ching taught us the Anchor Song. Nice song. He then recapped what we learnt and told us that we were the ambassadors of the Boy's Brigade the moment we stepped out of the door. He also asked us to write down on a piece of paper what we learnt and went through. I guess that's what I'm doing now. Then we had our last parade together with our new found friends and dismissal. Exchanged numbers with a few people. Went home, slept from 7pm to 10pm and here I am writing, or rather typing, this down. Man, I miss them already.

Many people ask me why I love the Boy's Brigade so much. They ask me to join NCC, NPCC all those stuffs where 'the real men were'. As always, I say no. Why? It's the experiences and things you learn together with strangers that make us bond and then we come out as brothers. And only at the Boy's Brigade do we find such things.

Praise the Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home