Saturday, January 05, 2013

Dad bought a VCR-to-DVD converter.

Mum told me last night when I came back from work, that Dad had just gotten off from eBay a VCR-to-DVD converter, and that he had started archiving all our old home videos into DVDs.

There was one video I had seen a few times before. I don't recall exactly how many times I've seen it, but I know it was enough for me to have memorized (unconsciously) the flow of it. There was that part on my big sister's kindergarten graduation; me sitting on the potty; and one on a trip to the zoo. Mum told me yesterday that Dad had then borrowed a video camera from his friend for my sister's graduation, and so they decided to make the most of it by bringing us on a day out whilst recording our adventures. As I came home just an hour ago,  Dad was still busy converting the VCRs, and I managed to catch about 1 minute of a particular video I don't recall ever seeing. Perhaps I might have seen it before, but that would have been many, many years ago.

It was a video taken by dad. He was standing on a little mount taking a panorama of the little park we have below our apartment, and the panorama ended with a shot of my mum, my elder sister and our maid looking up toward the camera. I don't recall the maid's name. Mum was doing a wave and a 'come over here' action, and when I saw that I thought it was pretty funny for her to signal to Dad like that.

Then, little me appeared and started running from where the camera was, toward my mum. I was actually beside dad all along. I did not see my little brother in the video, so I'm assuming that he wasn't been born yet. That would put little me around 4 years of age; that would also mean that the video was taken about 20 years ago (I'm 25 now). My parents, therefore, would have roughly been in their early 30s.

Anyway, I started running down the mount toward my mum, and there she was, bent down, ready to pick me up. When I reached her, she took me by the shoulders and lifted me into the air. When she put me down, I turned around and ran back up toward my dad, all the while having a big grin on my face.

At that moment, overwhelming emotions welled up within present day me. I felt really strange, because if the present day me were to have existed in that video, I would only have been less than 10 years younger than my parents. It was even stranger that I would actually be the same age as my parents then in 8-10 years time.

It was really something to also see mum lifting me into the air like that. Looking at her now (and dad too), it's obvious that they have grown much older. I must say that mum looked really young in that video. But what is really amazing is that I can still feel the same measure of love from her now, even two decades after the video has been shot. Of course, she no longer lifts me up into the air like that now, but it was a really awesome moment when I realised, in a long forgotten video, an act of love from her can still resonate in me something so deep and powerful, even after two decades What of the innocent love that little me demonstrated toward her then? I can only pray that I learn to continue loving her (and my father) unconditionally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home