Thursday, June 09, 2005

To the house 'behind the high school'.

Hi Chork,

It's been such a long time since I've heard from you and the others. How are you? I hope you and the rest are doing very well. Are you still working at the construction site, busy building the BB Youth Centre? I just want you to know that the team is doing very well and we miss all of you alot.

It's been almost 6 months since we departed from Puok Village. It's not a long time, but to many of us, it's feels like a lifetime. Oh, by the way, how's Reuben? Is he coping well over there? Has he found himself a bride already? Haha! We've all become accustomed to Singapore life, where technology and comfort surrounds us. Heh, I can still remember how we told each other we wouldn't adjust back to life in Singapore when we came back. But we did.

You know, Chork, more often than not, the conversations between the team members are often, and besides chatting about that new movie or the latest BB event, we often talk about you guys in Pouk Village. It may seem stupid that we still talk about you all after 6 months, but really, to us, that 14 days spent with you really opened up not only our eyes, but also our hearts. To me, it was a totally different experience for all of us.

Sometimes, when I feel stressed up by schoolwork, I just close my eyes and imagine I'm back in that house, with the small hut in front of the gate. I remember how we played capteh and volleyball at the front porch, how we used to fire catapults at that road sign or sometimes at motorists passing by. That long ardous walk to our construction site was really long, but like they always say, it's not the destination, but the journey there that counts. And it counted indeed. I remember how we walked past the various huts of the village, and how kids as young as 2 would dash out and wave at us, expecting sweets to be given to them. How that cute puppy would run out with the kids, how those cows under the tree would make cowpies. Heck, I even remember the accident involving the cowpies and our water supply. Heh heh heh.

Besides growing in knowledge, we also grew up with each other understanding more about the Lord. Having service with Van San and the rest really warmed my heart. It was the first time I saw a Cambodian bible. You know, I wanted to exchange my Bible for Narath's bible, but he refused. I understood why. To me, I was treating my Bible as an item, trading with people as and when I liked. Of course, a Bible meant alot to all of you. I was too immature to understand that. To me, it was something that could be replaced and bought again when I was back in my homeland. But to you, it was something that few had.

I've been wanting to find the address you wrote for me during our last night at Reaksa's house. Heh, have you read the letter I wrote for you? I asked you not to open it until I left for Angkor Wat, do you remember? Haha, I hope you fulfilled my wish! Only until an hour ago, I decided to look into my pouch and guess what, I found the paper on which you wrote your address to me! Yup, it's right in front of me now, as I write this. I opened this piece of paper for the first time ever since you/I closed it in that small hut late at night.

I really wish that someday, we would all go back to Puok Village to see all of you again. We will, and I can't wait for that day to arrive.

You know, there's a famous saying, that the only constant is change. But after 6 months, Chork, I found out that nothing's changed. We still miss all of you very much. Remember to write back okay?

Yours Sincerely,
Timothy Tan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home