Tuesday, September 20, 2005

So, how'd you get here?

YES!

Barely a few days after charging the 17 year old, the government has proposed a new legislation to help make Singapore a better place.

What's the news? We could be in Changi for not paying our fares if we take the public transport, or to quote the article, this legislation "is aimed at protecting bus firms and cabbies against cheats." How apt.

Sure, the companies lost an estimated $9 million, but how much do they earn? I'm sure they earn much more than they lose.

I mean, this legislation protects the companies from cheats, but what protects us, the consumers?

How one "cheats" is subjective. If this law is passed, under what circumstances would one be seen as "cheating"? Under the issue of not tapping their EZ-link cards and not paying cab fares, there is also the big branch of certain events which suggests that one is cheating, even though he is unintentional of doing so. Accidental tapping of the card on an overcrowded bus; tapping of a card with the intention of alighting, but forgetting to press the bell; or even worse, pressing the bell and bus drivers ignore the stop (yes, I'm a victim of many instances). Yes, in these instances, I'm sure action would be taken against you for cheating. Worst still, for the third case, I'm sure he has the right to charge you. And yes, Singaporeans are very "helpful" in these situations - not providing defending statements but yet stand around and look. Speaking of mad moods, I was spewed obscenities by the driver for no particular reason when I boarded a bus on last year. Luckily I was listening to my music when I boarded and I removed my earphones just in time to listen to the last few parts of the lashing. Stupid arse.

But I disgress. On to the cabbies. I've a friend whose friend, a foreigner, came a visiting recently. Wanting to go to Ang Mo Kio from Eunos, he took a cab. The cabbie, taking advantage of him being a foreigner, took the chance to drive all the way to Changi Airport. That's right folks, he could see the control tower. What happens then? Obviously the foreigner didn't pay, but hello! If this law gets passed, the foreigner would be in slammer by now.

And please read. A 12 year old girl left stranded after she didn't have another 30cents to pay for her bus ride home? How blasphemous! The service industry hasn't improved after the National Day Rally. The issue of having no money and getting no treatment also brings another example to my mine. I read in the papers recently that the owner of a kitten which was suffering from an illness did NOT receive treatment (i mean the cat) when she told the clinic she did not have enough money. The feline died. I question the purpose of clinics: Are they there to help treat, and earn money at the same time; or are they there to earn money, and help treat at the same time? It's really a case of no money no talk. Indeed, money makes the world go round.

Yep, the Yellow Ribbon project will experience a higher number of inmates next year if this gets passed.

Fear, my friends, is the solution to all problems.

See you, and please pay for your public transports.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home